Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pie

So, my son has turned three years old and with that landmark came the time for him to spend every other weekend with his father. This was the second weekend where that happened, and it wasn't much easier than the first. Wise women keep reminding me that I'm still a mother when I'm without my son. And of course, there are families who go without children every day due to tragic loss. But I guess my thoughts turn to who I am when my son isn't around. And this weekend, I was a cook.

Though absolutely terrible when I was younger, I've always had a desire to have talent in the kitchen. My end-life goal is to be the grandmother who has freshly baked goodness waiting in the kitchen every day, the one house on the street corner where everyone and their dog (seriously, I love dogs) know they can go for a home-cooked meal. Fortunately I have given myself till grandma-years to accomplish that feat.

Except for help with dicing chicken, I did each step all by myself! Even though I wasn't wiping up goop, playing cars, going to parks or handling a toddler meltdown this weekend, I felt accomplished with this 😊 






This recipe came from the classy Ann Romney and her beautiful cookbook. My parents were coming home from vacation, and with the rainy weather I wanted to make something warm and comforting. Of course by the time it was all prepared the sun was out and my hopes of a cozy gloomy meal were out the window, but it was still delicious. 

Wrapping up the evening with a taste of Cider. 

Welcome, Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment