My earliest memories of you, I am unable to distinguish between the years, or what age I may have been. The memories are warm, beginning with Christmas seasons flying and driving through snow covered ferns and enjoying festive dinners in the home with a winding stair case- the cousins and I sliding down on our bellies, not worrying about the rug burn we would feel later. There were the warm summer days in PEI, running back and forth from the water to where you sat on the beach, always a sun hat placed delicately on your soft red curls.
Visiting Halifax was always my favorite. Whether getting picked up at the airport by Grandpa, or finally driving up to your street after hours of a drive, we would walk in, take off our shoes, and head up the stairs where you were waiting on your bed, greeting us with a kiss and a "hello".
Your home was always magical. I could walk through the living room for days, or sit and gaze at the pictures on the kitchen walls for hours. The thick wooden china cabinet, filled with sweet treasures, wooden ducks placed along the stairs, the little downtown Halifax homes laid out perfectly along the mantle, all created a beautiful world that I felt so tickled to be a part of. During our visits, It was the stories I loved most- whether it was you tucking Maddie, Jed and I into bed and sharing stories of Nettie May and the world way back when, or through story telling, teaching Maddie and I how to draw, using your own outlines of fairies and nymphs, mushroom stools and magical forests to help. On one particular visit, you helped us fashion clothing for our barbies using simple colored paper and tape. I dont know that I've ever enjoyed playing barbies with my sister more than I did on that visit.
For my siblings and I, though miles apart we always felt you near. You were the first one to call each birthday, a card always in the mail. Where I preferred day dreaming and reading to boys and shopping, what I knew of you and what my mom told me about your interests, I always felt like we were kindred spirits. My love of the arts and Shakespeare was something we could always share, and every play or book I read, I looked forward to the talks we could have on each. Though we did not see each other often, I could always picture you sitting in your kitchen, sketching your beaches, mushrooms, flowers, fairies and more- listening to The Phantom of the Opera or recordings of our own voices that we had sent to you.
Our last visit together, you seemed to wonder if I was bored, but my only hope was for the opportunity to sit at the foot of your bed, listen to your voice, and hear your stories. To me, grandma, you are the loveliest and classiest of women. With your sharp mind and opinions, your beautiful library of books, you were an example of what a woman should be- independent in her thinking, constantly learning, and devoted to her family. I love you with all my heart.
The loss felt now is great, But I am filled with so much joy when I think of the family you are now with in Heaven, the people whose lives you told stories of, and a Savior who has borne every pain you have suffered- and is now able to show you just how marvelous you are.
You have meant more to me than I ever could express, and your work here on earth, If nothing else, has been to be my beautiful Nanny MacIntyre. I will ever hold your memory close in my heart, and because of our Savior Jesus Christ, I look forward with hope of being reunited once more, forever to live together in love and eternal joy. I love you forever.
And with your final heartbeat
Kiss the world goodbye
Then go in peace and laugh on glory's side
And fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus and live

No comments:
Post a Comment