Life is going by so quickly and yet so slowly. Either a year ago or a few months ago, I was having a conversation with my mentor, my inspiration, my dear friend Amanda about taking PTO at work. I had a bunch saved up and just couldn't think of a really fantastic reason to take it. My comment was something along the lines of, "well it's not like Rafe and I can just take a vacation together." And being the wise woman she is, Amanda stated, "Why not?"
From there stemmed a wonderfully insightful conversation about how I shouldn't put off living & enjoying life just because I am a single mother.
So Rafe and I planned a vacation!
California seemed the easiest bet, and since a recent trip to Canada had given me more chances to fly on a plane than preferred in the space of a few months, a road trip was decided upon!
Fun things happened on the way down, like this:
An absolutely torn to pieces tire. 2 hours into the drive. But no worries, with the help of a man named Joe we got the spare on and made it to St. George for a brand new tire.

Close to three hour detour waiting for a new tire...

This kid and his love for hasbrowns.

Close to three hour detour waiting for a new tire...

This kid and his love for hasbrowns.

His wittle twiny feet

Lego theme. Everywhere.

My lego-building skills turned pro on this trip

Remember? Lego theme everywhere.

Such a cute little muffin.

Stud muffin, that is!

Star Wars Heaven

I laughed at this photo a little too much..... wish there was one of these at our home some days!!

We were about to take an airplane ride, so he was pretty happy

Don't worry, he has made it through the adjustment period and now asks to watch Star Wars all the time.

The closest I'll ever get to my dream man.
We spent two days at the park and our last night we drove down to the beach, played in the water and sand, and finished the night with ice cream.
It was a fun adventure to have with my little man. I hope he remembers some parts of the trip, but if not we took plenty of selfies to reflect on in later years. The time I have with Rafe right now is so special to me. It's just he and I, our own little family making it through a lot of really rough poop. (figuratively and literally #pottytraining) And I just hope that I can convey to him someday how challenging yet immensely rewarding life has been since he came into the picture. Although my heart has been torn to pieces on so many occasions since his birth (let's be honest, since I found out he was existing in my belly) his sweet smile can put it back together again. Kisses where he smashes our faces together for thirty seconds, nights where he snuggles up to me and asks for a story, morning car rides where he reminds me we haven't said our prayers yet.... he is worth it.
And I will most likely think twice before we do another road trip. The night before driving home we both became very ill and it was stop and go the whole ride back due to the one and only designated driver heave-ho-ing the whole way home.
I did feel a part of history, however, when I went to the Instacare and described my symptoms, and was immediately asked if I had recently traveled outside of the country.
I did feel a part of history, however, when I went to the Instacare and described my symptoms, and was immediately asked if I had recently traveled outside of the country.
#thankfulitwasntebola










No comments:
Post a Comment