Yesterday was a day with little Rafe Henry. He is not the perfect toddler, and I am certainly not the perfect mother. We have our days, and boy was yesterday one of them. People often see the tantrums of children, or hear stories of their stubborness, and can make quick assumptions that having children is a more negative than positive experience. But at the end of yesterday, a no good very bad day, Rafe came waddling into my room for the umpteenth time since I tried putting him down to bed, and said, "We can snuggle, that makes you happy!". I was so taken back by that statement, I asked him, "What do you mean? What makes Mamma happy?" and he gave the cheesiest grin and said, "Rafe makes Mamma happy!!".
You do make me happy, sweet little son. I've been reading a bit of Shakespeare lately and thought of this verse, "Love is not love, which alters when it alteration finds". No matter the tough days, no matter the tempests, the tantrums, the squealing, the crying, I love Rafe, and he makes me happy.
And while Rafe & I "snuggled" last night (aka he rolled all over the bed, on top of me, burrowed underneath me, blew zurbers and pretended to sneeze, stuck his toes in my face, asked me where the sun was, why it was sleeping, where the moon was, why wasn't Phinny coming to sleep with us...) it seemed appropriate to remind myself of this line of Shakespeare
"Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, but bears it out even to the edge of doom"

No comments:
Post a Comment