Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Birthdays & Blowouts

Last Friday I celebrated my 22nd birthday.
That is very weird to say... I believe I am destined to never feel as old as I truly am.

Silly though it is to take a day off from work for your birthday at this age, I had been looking for a time where I could take a break and spend a nice long day with Rafe, and also I had just finished working a few months of Saturdays the week before, so a 3-day weekend sounded fantastic to me. We had a grand day, going to the park for a walk in our new jogging stroller (thank you Christmas bonus), my mom bought me a fancy new shirt, and I received lots of wishes for a happy birthday from friends and family. We spent the afternoon rolling around and playing with puppy Phinn. Although Phinn is very jealous of all the attention Rafe gets, he still loves little man very much and is always gentle with him.
That evening we went out to dinner at a noisy steak house, and as my sister was grabbing Rafe to feed him a bottle, she realized his bum was a little wet! I whisked Rafe off to the ladies room for a quick change... not! We were up to our elbows in pooh, and at one point only Rafe's head was left on the changing table as I lifted him by his feet to clean him up.
TMI?
Probably.
But that's what you get for reading a Mamma's blog.
What did Rafe do the entire time I was cleaning him up? Smiled, giggled, tried to nibble on his toes, and was just a gem. I love him so much. At a moment where I could have been impatient and moody, I was completely calm and happy - one, because he hadn't pooped all day and I was just glad he finally had, and two, because I just love this little guy to pieces. He's the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I had one of the best birthdays I've had since high school.

I'm so happy. I am so so so so happy. A year ago life was bleak and uncertain. I never imagined I could have the peace and perspective I have now. The last year and 3 months have definitely been the hardest of my life, but I am happier now than I have ever been. I am so grateful for my beautiful boy, who teaches me so much. I'm grateful for the family and friends I have who never gave up on me. And I'm grateful for the Gospel. It is because of my Savior that I finally feel such hope and joy. It doesn't matter what age you are, or what circumstances you come from, He is always waiting at the door.

"Ask and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; know, and it shall be opened unto you."

No comments:

Post a Comment